How it works:
- Register here [insert form link] or visit your nearest DPLS library.
- Pick up a reading log from the Children’s desk at Defiance or the Help desks in Hicksville or Sherwood or print reading records from the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten site [insert link - https://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/resources/ ]. Or, use the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten app; this FREE app is found in the Apple app store [add link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.b1000books.app&hl=en ] and the Google Play store [add link - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1000-books-before-kindergarten/id779280401 ]. Or, keep track in a notebook or spreadsheet; use whatever is easiest for you.
- Record the books you and your child read.
- For each 100 books read, stop in at your local DPLS location and show your reading log. Your child will be presented with a sticker showcasing the reading milestone reached.
- When you reach a 1000 books read, you and your child will be invited to a special event in August of each year that honors each child who has completed the 1000 book challenge!
Have fun by sharing books you enjoyed as a child or visit your local library to find new books to explore together. Increase your child’s chance of academic success in later years by reading to him or her every day; use the 5 practices of Early Literacy found here [link to early literacy page on website] to extend and enhance each story read. Books introduce new vocabulary, problem solving skills, social and emotional concepts, and much more.