Gifts of donated material, such as books and audio-visual items, may be accepted into the Defiance Public Library System’s collections after review by DPLS staff according to established guidelines. Items received but not used by DPLS will be donated to the each location’s Friends of the Library organizations, recycled, given away, or discarded.
Defiance Public Library System is most interested in receiving donations of new or gently used items in excellent condition. Groups or collections of items cannot necessarily be kept together and will be handled like all other donations.
We DO NOT accept:
Our seven-member Board of Trustees is responsible for guiding major decisions about library strategies and operations. This includes everything from capital projects to the patron code of conduct. Board of Trustees Meetings are held on the last Wednesday of the month at 4:00 p.m., location announced monthly.
Michael Wahl, President
Susan Mack, Vice-President
Jane Yoder, Secretary
The libraries of the Defiance Public Library System rely on our volunteers as a partnership in supporting library programs and community outreach. We have a variety of short and long term opportunites, both behind the scenes and interacting with the community. If you would like to share your time and talent with us, please contact:
Defiance- Melanie Hinchcliff, 419-782-1456
Hicksville- Zachary Bowling, 419-542-6200
Sherwood- Kathy Holtsberry, 419-899-4343
The Friends of the Library is a non-profit group formed to sponsor library programs and support services and technologies. Some of the activities of the Friends of the Library are:
The Defiance Public Library System is fortunate to have a Friends of the Library group supporting each of its locations. Visit these sites to see how each group is actively advocating the library in their communities. Become a Friend today!
Friends of the Johnson Memorial Library
Friends of the Sherwood Branch Library
Library services in Defiance County started around 1873, when a group of civic minded citizens formed the Defiance Library Association (DLA). At this time, there was no offical library building, so various businesses and governement buildings were taking turns housing the books. There was also a fee to borrow books or to be a library member. The members of the DLA felt is was time to construct a permanent facility for the collection and make the materials available to the entire community.
After nearly twenty years of fundraising, the DLA donated money to the city of Defiance in 1895, to form a FREE public library. The City Council passed an ordinance for the library, appointed a 6 member library board of trustees and selected the western end of Fort Defiance Park as the location for the permanent library building. The money donated by the DLA wasn't enough to cover the entire cost of a new building, so the Board of Trustees applied to Andrew Carnegie for help. Carnegie, a very wealthy man sponsoring the construction of libraries across the country at the time, agreed to donate $22,000 to complete the project.
Ground was broken for the foundation in August of 1904 and the cornerstone was laid in October of the same year. The building was finally complete and dedicated on July 4, 1905. Over the years the building has undergone several changes, most notably the addition of the east wing in 1962 and the west wing in 1969.
During that time, the Defiance Public Library System also opened 2 branch locations across Defiance County, including Johnson Memorial Library in Hicksville (1939) and Sherwood Branch Library in Sherwood (1940). The Defiance Public Library still remains in residence in the original Carnegie building and honors the commitment to serve the citiznes of Defiance County, just as its founders planned over a century ago.