You can apply for a system-wide DPLS Library card online at all three library locations in Defiance, Hicksville, and Sherwood. Library cards are free to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Resident of the State of Ohio
- Available to ages:
- 5+ accompanied by a parent/guardian
- 13+ with picture ID & parent/guardian notified
- 18+ with picture ID
Applying is easy:
- Bring a valid photo ID to your library's main desk
- Fill out a simple application form
- Sign your card
- Fill out the online application
- Immediately after applying, you will receive a temporary card number that will allow you to place a hold on one item from our catalog.
- Within 24 hours (excluding weekends & holidays) a second temporary card number will be emailed to you. This will enable you to use our electronic resources (research databases, e-books, Hoopla, Lynda.com).
- Visit any DPLS location within 4 weeks of receiving temporary card to complete application process and pick up your permanent library card, in order to check out physical materials and continue to use our electronic resources. Picture I.D. is required.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to obtain their permanent library card.
If you do not live in Ohio, you will need to apply for a library card in person. Please stop by the Main Desk at any DPLS location and our staff will be happy to help you. Out of state library cards expire one year from the date of issue. Requirements for out of state card are:
- Picture I.D. must be presented
- $40 fee