Transform your ideas about the library: celebrate National Library Week April 10-16
Defiance Public Library System with locations in Defiance, Hicksville and Sherwood will join libraries in schools, campuses and communities nationwide in celebrating National Library Week, a time to highlight the value of libraries, librarians and library workers. First sponsored in 1958, National Library Week is a national observance sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA) and by libraries across the country each April.
“Libraries Transform” is this year’s theme for National Library Week, April 10-16, 2016. In honor of National Library Week we wanted to share 11 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do Through Defiance Public Library System.
11 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do Through Defiance Public Library System
You already know that Defiance Public Library System libraries are a great place to borrow books for free- we offer so much more than what’s on the shelves. Here are 11 things you might not know you can get from DPLS.
- Ancestry information. We have a subscription to ancestry.com that is free for you to use while in the library. Each of our library locations have local history collections that are available to use in your search. CLICK HERE FOR DPLS RESOURCES
- Audiobooks. We offer audiobooks in multiple formats, such as physical CD’s you borrow and digital versions that you can download to your electronic devices. Digital versions can be downloaded from anywhere using Hoopla and the Ohio Digital Library.
- Classes. Always wanted to learn Yoga, how to lower your utility bill or even how to start a small business? We offer classes on various different topics- for free! DPLS also provides access to more than 3,000 high-quality training courses online, anytime through Lynda.com. Courses cover a variety of topics (including job readiness, career development, business, design, web development and more) and software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and open source applications) that can help you pursue your personal and professional goals.
- eBooks. The Ohio Digital Library and Hoopla provide access to thousands of digital eBook titles all for free with your DPLS library card.
- Events and Activities. All our locations offer events for all ages. For kids & families, activities include everything from movie nights to Anime Clubs, crafts and gaming. For adults, we have book clubs, author visits, Cemetery Walks and much more. CLICK HERE FOR THE DPLS EVENTS
- Magazines and Newspapers. Magazine/newspaper subscriptions can get expensive. DPLS has copies of dozens of the latest magazines and newspapers for you to read. Digital copies of magazines that you can keep forever are available using Zinio.
- Mobile Print. Printer broken or out of ink? Need something printed right away? You can easily print to any of the DPLS library printers from your wireless device or desktop computer, regardless of your location. Use your browser, email or the PrinterOn app to send a printout to a specific library printer. CLICK HERE FOR THE MOBILE PRINT SERVICE
- Movies and Music. If you want something to watch or listen to, visit us! We have a great DVD & Blu-ray collection that covers both TV & Film, including popular movies, exercise videos, educational content and more. Enjoy thousands of titles- from major Hollywood studios, record companies, and publishers- available to borrow for instant streaming or temporary download to your smartphone, table and computer using Hoopla.
- Photograph collections. We are part of the Ohio Memory Project, which has over 26,000 Items that you can search online from anywhere!
- School Prep. There are a variety of free classes and resources that we offer from Storytime, to STEAM play days and year round programming, offered to all school-aged children, to help encourage the love of learning and reading.
- Wi-Fi. Access free wireless internet on your own device or use one of the laptops that each of our library locations have available for use.
Check out our website, defiancelibrary.org, for more information about our services and current events. Visit any of our locations during National Library Week for a chance to win our special giveaway basket. There will be 1 giveaway basket per DPLS location. Earn 1 entry into the raffle per book/material you check out. Don’t have a library card? Sign up to get a DPLS library card during National Library Week and get 10 entries into the raffle!